The Preconstruction Manager/Estimator is responsible for overseeing all preconstruction phase estimating services associated with Design Assist, Design-Build, and Construction Management type contracts. This role works directly with the Preconstruction Director, Owner, the Design Team and the Construction Team’s technical support staff. The Preconstruction Manager/Estimator coordinates estimating (project budget), value analysis, and bid package development resulting in financial, procurement and logistics plans. This role will closely coordinate these services with the Operations Project Manager and the Operations Project Executive. In addition, the Preconstruction Manager/Estimator will assist in business development activities.
Establish and implement Review System intended to assure that that the design, engineering, equipment, materials, and labor comply with the contract, and the quality of work meets the required standards.
- Chair and record design and construction review meetings.
- Maintain regular budget and schedule reviews.
- Review details for practicality of Construction, Operations, and Maintenance.
- Prepare reports and actions plans as necessary to maintain schedules for compliance and bridging documents budgets.
- Perform conceptual estimating services during the design period.
- Review and provide comments on final concept drawings and working drawings.
- Coordinate and supervise employees and consultants
Lead the Preconstruction Team
- Develop the Project Budget
- Evaluate alternate schemes
- Budget feasibility
- Schedule optimization
- Program compliance
- Hold team members accountable for their actions
Maintain close liaison with Owner and Design Team
- Facilitate design decision-making
- Incorporate requested changes
- Involvement in key meetings and discussions
- Review and determine project General conditions and requirements for Design/Build CM and CMc
- Preparation and presenting of CM and CMc proposals to owner
- Progress reports
- Manage open-book cost estimating to include cost control, constructability reviews, value engineering, life cycle cost analysis, scheduling, logistics, subcontractor selection and material procurement; all tailored to the clients explicit goods and needs
Involve the Estimating Team
- Perform and Check Quantity take-offs
- Solicit Sub-pricing and verify scopes
- Develop conceptual or schematic phase estimates
- Verification of labor and material costs
Monitor the planning and permitting of approval processes and contractual obligations
- Liaison with agencies, as required.
- Review and analyze contract documents to determine contractual obligations
- Contributes to compliance with small, disadvantaged, and women owned business requirements
Assist Business Development
- Preparation of technical proposals.
- Preparation and delivery of oral presentations.
- Maintain relationships with design firms and construction managers.
- Take an active role in trade associations and other community based activities
A bachelor's degree is required. A minimum of three (3) years of design phase management experience or estimating experience and five (5) years of experience in construction management or general contracting is required.
The Preconstruction Manager/Estimator should possess strong team building; interpersonal; decision making, problem solving, and negotiating skills. This position requires strong verbal communication skills.
Bachelor's degree in architecture, engineering or construction management.
How to apply
If you wish to express interest, please visit http://www.grunley.com/careers.
Grunley is an Equal Employment/Affirmative Action employer. We do not discriminate in hiring on the basis of sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, race, color, religious creed, national origin, physical or mental disability, protected Veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local law.
If you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the employment process, please contact us by email at email@example.com or by phone at 240-399-6162 and let us know the nature of your request and your contact information. Requests for accommodation will be considered on a case-by-case basis. Please note that only inquiries concerning a request for reasonable accommodation will be responded to from this e-mail address.