The Design Manager (DM) is responsible for all aspects of the management of the design elements including the schedule for design and the production and quality control of technical submission drawings and design narratives associated with Design Assist, Design-Build, and Construction Management type contracts. The DM works directly with the Owner, the Design Team and the Construction Team's Operations staff. In addition, the DM will engage and contribute to strategic and operational planning for the company.
This position reports to the Director of Preconstruction Services.
Management and Team Leadership
- Ensure timely completion of design project
- Coordinate and supervise employees and consultants
- Hold team members accountable for their actions
- Work as pre-construction representative throughout the design process
- Maintain communication between the design and construction teams at all times
Maintain close liaison with Owner and Design Team
- Facilitate design decision-making
- Provide technical and design input and preparation of documents for approval, construction and contract administration
- Involvement in key meetings and discussions
- Maintain contact with networks and Design Firms
- Complete progress reports
- Be familiar with and negotiate A/E price proposals
- Attend and chair design meetings with the owner, A/E and subcontractors
- Negotiate teaming agreements and Designer/Design Builder Agreements with A/E’s
Monitor the planning and permitting of approval processes and contractual obligations
- Liaison with agencies, as required
- Review and analyze contract documents to determine contractual obligations
- Develop and maintain log of design assumptions and design betterments
- Develop expectations for content and quality of design at various stages of project
- Review and provide comments on final concept drawings and working drawings
- Review progress design drawings for compliance and bridging documents and budgets
- Perform estimating services during the design period, including verification that pricing matches the design narrative and technical drawing product
Assist Business Development
- Preparation of technical proposals
- Preparation and delivery of oral presentations
- Take an active role in trade associations and other community based activities
Bachelor's degree is required. A minimum of three (3) years of design phase management experience and five (5) years of experience in construction management and/or general contracting. This position requires a successful track record in all aspects of preconstruction and design phase project management. Must have a substantial background in Design Build contracting and process management; must have worked on either the contractor or consultancy side and have a proven record of leading a team from design to construction with an emphasis on building client relationships. Must possess strong team building; interpersonal; design making, problem solving, and negotiating skills. This position requires strong verbal communication skills.
Bachelor's degree in architecture, engineering or construction management.
How to apply
If you wish to express interest, please visit http://www.grunley.com/careers.
Grunley is an Equal Employment/Affirmative Action employer. We do not discriminate in hiring on the basis of sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, race, color, religious creed, national origin, physical or mental disability, protected Veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local law.
If you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the employment process, please contact us by email at firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone at 240-399-6162 and let us know the nature of your request and your contact information. Requests for accommodation will be considered on a case-by-case basis. Please note that only inquiries concerning a request for reasonable accommodation will be responded to from this e-mail address.
Post Ends on 3/30/2018