July 30 - August 3, 2018
8am - 4pm
Location - To Be Announced
CAMP NAWIC is a free, week-long day camp for 7th to 12th grade girls to introduce them to a potential career in the construction industry. Many young girls are unaware of the possibility of a rewarding and financially beneficial career in the construction trades or related fields. Camp NAWIC is designed to give them real hands-on experience.
The core purpose of NAWIC is to “enhance the success of women in the construction industry.”
Camp NAWIC embodies this core purpose in the following ways:
- Provides a supportive and nurturing environment for middle & high school girls to explore and develop basic skills in the areas of utilities, carpentry, electrical, and other specialty trades.
- Offers middle & high school girls a gender neutral environment to learn and practice new skills without fear of being teased or isolated.
- Develops greater self-confidence and better self-esteem for girls who tackle challenging projects and successfully complete them.
- Develops a safety first attitude and ‘we can do it’ mindset via the safety and history of women in construction seminars on the opening day of camp.
- Introduces the girls to women role models who have achieved success in all areas of construction. From tradeswomen to engineers, architects, accountants, project managers, superintendents, business owners, and clerical support, the girls learn there is room in the construction industry for their dreams too.
- Introduces college and apprenticeship bound students to valuable NAWIC Founders Scholarship Fund (NFSF) and tradeswomen scholarship information.
- Promotes membership in NAWIC. Guest instructors and speakers see the value of being a NAWIC member via their involvement in Camp NAWIC. Girls that later pursue careers in construction become our future members.
- Demonstrates NAWIC’s commitment to increasing the number of women choosing careers in the construction industry.